September 4, 2025 | Flash Brief
Israel Dismisses Hamas Acceptance of Ceasefire Outline as ‘Spin’
September 4, 2025 | Flash Brief
Israel Dismisses Hamas Acceptance of Ceasefire Outline as ‘Spin’
Latest Developments
- Israel Dismisses Hamas Statement: Israeli officials dismissed a Hamas statement on September 3 expressing the terrorist organization’s readiness for a comprehensive ceasefire deal that would result in the release of all remaining Israeli hostages in exchange for “an agreed-upon number of Palestinian prisoners” held by Israel. “This is more spin by Hamas, containing nothing new,” Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said, reiterating Israel’s position that it will only halt military operations in Gaza if Hamas releases all of its hostages at the same time and agrees to the demilitarization of Gaza and the establishment of an administration linked to neither Hamas nor the Palestinian Authority. Hamas published the statement shortly after President Donald Trump demanded that the terrorist group “give back all 20 [living] hostages (not 2 or 5 or 7!),” asserting that the war in Gaza would end “rapidly” should that occur.
- Hamas Preventing Gaza City Evacuation: The IDF published audio of a Palestinian resident of Gaza City complaining that Hamas was preventing civilians from moving southward ahead of an imminent Israeli operation to take control of the city. “They tell us there is no evacuation, go back home,” the individual said, adding that Gaza City residents were using side streets to find “alternative ways” to evacuate from what Israel says is one of Hamas’s last bastions of strength in the Gaza Strip. Despite Hamas intimidation, Israel estimates that roughly 70-80,000 people have fled the city so far.
- Israeli Operations in Gaza City Ongoing: IDF Chief of Staff Gen. Eyal Zamir stated that Israel has “already begun the ground operation in Gaza [City].” Between 40-50,000 reserve troops have been called up in the largest single-day reserve draft since the operation to take over Gaza City was announced. Many of the reservists will replace active-duty IDF troops in northern Israel and the West Bank as the IDF is set to deploy four divisions, comprising tens of thousands of soldiers, for the Gaza City campaign.
FDD Expert Response
“If the IDF’s claim that Hamas is preventing evacuation from Gaza City is accurate, this would not be the first time the terrorist organization has deliberately obstructed civilians from fleeing a conflict zone. There is no legitimate justification for Hamas to deny people the chance to seek safety. The more convincing explanation is strategic: by keeping large numbers of civilians in Gaza City, Hamas hopes that it will stall or slow the IDF’s advance into the territory.” — Joe Truzman, Senior Research Analyst and Editor at FDD’s Long War Journal
“Hamas’s supposed commitment to a comprehensive deal deliberately excludes one of Israel’s core war objectives: the disarmament of Hamas and its dismantling as a military force, something it has repeatedly vowed never to accept. Aware that this falls short of Israel’s security demands, Hamas seeks to portray Israel as the obstacle to a ceasefire. In reality, this is nothing more than a tactic to increase pressure on Israel.” — Ahmad Sharawi, Research Analyst
FDD Background and Analysis
“Israel prepares for wider Gaza City battle with reservist call-up,” by Seth J. Frantzman
“Trump Meets With Top Advisers to Discuss Future of Gaza,” FDD Flash Brief
“IDF Issues Warnings to Aid Organizations Ahead of Civilian Evacuation from Gaza City,” FDD Flash Brief