Jobs and Internships
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter, CV, and writing sample here. Please include in the cover letter your specific interest in FDD. No phone calls, please. FDD is a Washington, DC-based nonpartisan 501(c)(3) research institute focusing on national security and foreign policy.
Associate Director of Communications
The Foundation for Defense of Democracies (FDD) seeks to hire a highly motivated, experienced communications professional who understands how the media works, in particular the broadcast media, to join a fast-paced team and is familiar with and committed to furthering FDD’s work.
This position is part of FDD’s communications team that reports to the Director of Communications.
- Creating and executing short- and long-term communications strategies and tactical plans.
- Working with other Communications team members and the Communications Interns, supervising various projects and tasks.
- Creating and implementing daily outreach strategies to promote FDD research and researchers to print, television network, cable news, and radio reporters, bookers, and editors.
- Independently managing all elements of media interviews.
- Cultivating and strengthening relationships with journalists.
- Training and preparing FDD experts for broadcast, print and digital interviews.
- Overseeing reporting weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual media metrics.
- Supporting projects and initiatives of the communications department.
- A degree in communications, journalism, political science, or related fields.
- Strong interest and background in U.S. foreign policy and current affairs.
- At least four years of experience pitching television and radio producers, bookers, and assignment editors, particularly in the Washington, D.C. press corps.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- An ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Digital communications experience.
- High attention to detail and strong organization skills, including timeliness and accuracy.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Track record of communicating effectively with internal and external contacts at all levels.
- Track record working on tight deadlines and with the news cycle as required.
- Knowledge of WordPress helpful but not required.
- Ability to have a flexible schedule determined by the news cycle, including some weekend and evening work, as needed.
Interested and qualified applicants should apply here.
Cover letter must include specific experience you have on issues and areas of expertise reflected on FDD’s website.
Writing samples, including news releases and other media pitching examples, that are relevant to FDD’s work appreciated.
Social Media Manager
The Foundation for Defense of Democracies (FDD), a Washington D.C.-based nonpartisan think tank focusing on national security and foreign policy, is looking for an experienced social media practitioner to oversee the organization’s social media platforms. The successful candidate must demonstrate knowledge and expertise as a proactive social media manager who incorporates the strategic use of audio/video technology and possesses a strong understanding of FDD’s core areas of research.
- Developing and implementing social media plans across all FDD social platforms
- Developing monthly, quarterly and annual social media goals
- Recording and editing audio/video for use on social media platforms, and applying new and creative ways to maximize audio/video technology
- Drafting daily social media content on FDD platforms in support of broader goals
- Providing “best practices” for social media for a diverse group of research staff
- Using latest social media measurement platforms to expand and grow FDD’s social media footprint
- Contributing to compiling weekly FDD social media metrics reporting
- BS or BA degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Advertising, Journalism or related field
- 3-5 years of experience leading social media outreach
- In-depth knowledge of best practices for Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter and other platforms
- Proficiency with social media measurement and management platforms
- Proficiency with social media design cloud tools
- Superior verbal, written, analytical and presentation communication skills and personal interaction skills
- Experience in serving as the main point of contact for social media for internal clients
- Experience organizing, promoting, and directing social media events (e.g., Facebook Live events or Twitter chats)
- Experience communicating research findings
- Results-driven, creative thinker with innovative approach to problem solving
- Strong team orientation with a focus on collaboration
- Exceptional attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple ongoing activities
Cover letter must include specific experience you have on issues and areas of expertise reflected on FDD’s website. Writing samples including social media plans that are relevant to FDD’s work appreciated. No calls, please.
FDD seeks a full-time active duty U.S. military officer to serve as a Military Fellow in its Center on Military and Political Power (CMPP). The successful applicant will have the rank of O-4 to O-6 and seek to gain research experience on issues related to U.S. defense policy and strategy.
- Conduct research related to the defense strategies, policies, and capabilities necessary to deter and defeat threats to the freedom, security, and prosperity of Americans and our allies;
- Author or co-author on the above and related topics (both internal and external publications, including newspapers, journals, and online outlets);
- Discuss research at events, both organized by FDD and in outside venues;
- Work with appropriate FDD staff to plan and execute meetings and briefings, as well as networking and professional development opportunities for FDD scholars with Department of Defense officials; and
- Support the day-to-day research and work of CMPP and CMPP’s Senior Director.
- Active duty U.S. military officers between the rank of O-4 (Major/Lieutenant Commander) – O-6 (Colonel/Captain);
- Commitment for 6-month or 1-year fellowship;
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team; and
- Excellent writing, research, and analytical skills.
FDD is a nonprofit and nonpartisan national security and foreign policy institute devoted to independent research in the defense of free nations against their enemies. FDD runs the National Security Alumni Network (NSAN), a nonpartisan mentorship and leadership development program for mid-career national security practitioners. NSAN is comprised of over 400 alumni from the military, the executive branch, the Hill, think tanks and the private sector. FDD does not accept donations from foreign governments.
To view current internship opportunities, visit us here.
About FDD’s internship program
Based in downtown Washington, D.C., the Foundation for Defense of Democracies has a number of internship opportunities available during the spring, fall and summer semesters. All FDD interns will have the opportunity to participate in a twice-monthly speaker series, which brings high-level DC officials and senior staff members to engage with interns in an intimate setting. FDD interns will be encouraged to build on their academic skills by working closely with senior staff. FDD is also happy to assist students who wish to earn academic credit for this internship. All internships are unpaid. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. It is recommended that interested candidates submit applications early.
Please specify the department(s) for which you would like to be considered (feel free to indicate preferences) in your cover letter. While you may use the same cover letter for multiple positons, please submit a separate application for each position of interest. Incomplete applications will not be considered. For general inquiries, email: [email protected].
- Must have at least a 3.2 GPA (on a 4.0 scale).
- Should have a relevant course of study and have completed coursework in any of the following fields: International Relations, Security Studies, History, Communications, Journalism, International Economics or Political Science.
- Interns should have knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, including Word, as well as basic Excel skills.
- Must be able to commit to a minimum of 22 hours per week.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
Application Materials Required
- Cover letter (Please review our website and include which FDD projects and issue areas resonate with you and why. Also indicate where you found this internship and your availability for the semester.)
- Writing sample (no more than three pages)
- Unofficial transcript copy