Media Fellows Program
The Foundation for Defense of Democracies (FDD) has launched its inaugural FDD Media Fellows Program for mid-career journalists, social media content creators, and strategic communications professionals.
The FDD Media Fellows Program provides educational programing and professional development opportunities to help media professionals gain a deeper understanding of the intersection between media, strategic communications, public diplomacy, misinformation, disinformation, and national security.
Over the course of four sessions in Washington D.C., the FDD Media Fellows Program will facilitate:
- Intimate, off-the-record briefings with high-level government officials and foreign dignitaries. Fellows will engage with leaders on a range of issues, offering an opportunity for candid discourse on the topics of public diplomacy, strategic communications, and national security.
- Networking with leaders in the field. The FDD Media Fellows Program will assemble an exceptional cadre of media practitioners to hear from top leaders in the field.
- Skill-building sessions with seasoned traditional and new media practitioners, on such topics as the Ethics of War Reporting and Understanding Influence Operations.
- Mentorship and collaboration opportunities with FDD scholars, distinguished members of FDD’s Board of Advisors, and leaders in the policy community.
FDD Media Fellows Program Fellows are invited to apply for a FDD National Security Trip to Israel. The seven-day trip will offer a fact-based, nuanced understanding of a country that faces unique strategic communications and public diplomacy challenges. Throughout the week, trip participants will travel around Israel to participate in off-the-record high-level meetings with Israel’s top national security brass; current and former Israeli, Palestinian, and American national security decision makers; journalists; military officials; and leaders in the private sector. These in-depth conversations will be supplemented by experiential exercises, including visits to elite military installations and the high-tech sector.
Upon completion of the program, participants will become members of the FDD National Security Network (NSN), comprised of over 500 bipartisan leaders in Washington’s national security landscape, all alumni of FDD’s mid-career programing. Alumni enjoy year-round programming, including invitations to policy-related events, international trips and opportunities for networking and collaborating with both FDD experts and peers in the DC policy community.
FDD’s Media Fellows Program is part of FDD’s Barish Center for Media Integrity. In addition to providing skill-building opportunities and access to leading national security professionals, the Center addresses the national security threats posed by misinformation campaigns and influence operations waged by foreign adversaries against the United States and allied democracies.
FDD does not accept donations from any foreign governments. No foreign funds are used to support the Media Fellows Program or the trip.
- U.S. Citizen
- Able to commute to Washington D.C. for four events throughout the year
- Between the ages of 28-45
- A minimum of five years of post-college media experience
Applications for FDD’s Media Fellows Program are now closed. Applications will re-open in late 2022. Click below if you would like to be notified when applications become available.
If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]
FDD's National Security Network
Members of FDD’s National Security Network – a community of more than 500 top-level national security practitioners – enjoy year-round programming, including invitations to policy-related events, international trips and opportunities for networking and collaborating with both FDD experts and peers in the DC policy community.. Learn more