October 20, 2017 | Qutoed by Connor O'Brien and Wesley Morgan - Politico
Mattis says Niger ambush was ‘considered unlikely,’ pledges probe
In the face of growing scrutiny, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis on Thursday said the type of attack that killed four U.S. troops in Niger earlier this month was “considered unlikely” and pledged to release the findings of a Pentagon investigation “as rapidly” as possible.
“I would just tell you that in this specific case contact was considered unlikely,” Mattis said of the ambush against members of the Army's 3rd Special Forces Group, which is advising local anti-terror units in the region.
McMaster, speaking at an event sponsored by the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, said he was hurt by McCain’s criticism and defended the National Security Council’s consultation with Congress.
Read more here.